Thursday, July 17, 2008

Randoms

Having cooped at home for the past 3 days, I do not have much interesting pics to upload. Just some random shots when I managed to go outside for some fresh air.
Where we got our US sim card from when we first arrived. Not the new iPhone yet; and yes, we have not forgotten the many iPhones orders from you guys.
On the Road. Vehicles here are all left-hand drive, so you see on-coming cars on the left instead of on the right. I'm going to try driving out to the major roads and freeways soon and am feeling quite nervous at the thought of it. Btw, hubby saw somewhere that says I can drive without having to get the American Driving License if I am a full time student. I hope he's right coz I don't want to waste my time going through the thick driving guide.
Still on the road. Can't remember where were we heading to when these pics were taken.
Houses along the road. Almost all houses have an attached garage, where they can park 2 or more cars inside. It is very common for each household to own 2 cars here. Probably a convertible for summer and a MPV for family outings.
I wish I could experience how is it like staying in one of those houses along the road.
This is somewhere outside the hotel, where there's a huge supermarket (Dierberg's if i didn't remember wrongly) and some shops. Most of the buildings that houses shops look like this.
Played with the colour accent function in my camera. It's fun and thought this is quite pretty. Taken sometime last week in the hotel compound.
This was taken yesterday, just outside the clubhouse.
















I took more shots of the WH's surrounding while waiting for hubby and colls to pick me up to go collect our car.
Squirrels and rabbits are a common sight in our estate. As common as the wild filthy cats n dogs back home. I'm very glad that so far the only dogs I see on the streets are all leashed. Not a single cat in sight yet and I hope they don't exist in this city.
To the right foreground of the pic are the tennis courts. The guys were so enthusiastic about this evening's tennis session, that they went to get a racket each from this huge sports shop we went last night. Next to the courts is the playground.
Lots of greenery around the estate.
Pine trees greet visitors to the clubhouse.
















Some things I've never used/ seen before in my life, till I saw them in St. Louis:
I'm still pretty curious about the garbage disposal. The 1st encounter I had with it was in the hotel. I never knew such things existed especially in the sink! Yes, the kitchen sink.
It gets rid of food waste by grinding it into pieces and then I have absolutely no idea where it goes to after that. Hubby tried the one in the hotel by throwing in a SMALL chicken bone and to my horror, the entire sink was vibrating vigourously and making hair-raising noises. Turn up the volume and you know what I mean. To note, this was on w/o any food waste inside. Noise level increases and sink vibrates alot more when we throw smthing in. We did not really try the one in our apt coz the sink was choked till the Maintenance guy came this morning to clear it up. I dun think I will ever try it coz the noise it makes is terrible. Plus I think I've developed a phobia towards the machine. I'm sooo very scared that one day my fingers will get minced out of it. Eeewww....

The water purifier. Don't know if I got the proper name correct, but that is its function. Attached it to the tap, tilt it down and viola! We get to drink the water that comes directly from the "PUR". We don't even have to boil it. The water purifier Mum has at home consists of 2 huge tanks. This is so much better since it saves lots of space and definitely much more economical.
Tilt it back and you get normal water for washing, and all other purposes except drinking. Actually I can't think of any other purposes of water from the kitchen sink. =P
This is a retro central air-conditioning thermostat. The lever to adjust the temperature is this white tiny thing u see on the right. What we use back home are those remote controls, while those in the hotels definitely don't look as vintage as this.



Now you know how bored I am today. I need to get out but i can't! Rooaaarrrrr! I need to be home today coz the GPS will be sent here anytime now, and hubby drove the car to work! Sigh... However as a consolation, hubby's on half day again tmr and I've made some plans. First to submit my college enrollment form, then to the bank. Next to anywhere that sells cheap hairdryer and then to shop! He better not spoils my plans again coz I rooaaarrr....

Haa I feel so silly. Ok I got to start the dinner preps, again. Now I got to think of what to post tmr, to whet your appetites. Meanwhile take care peeps n love ya!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh i noe that sink machine thingy! had that when during my stay in aussie! i din utilise it much too, haa! but jye practically threw everythng in.

Gladys said...

But the maintainence guy said we can't throw bones, rice, potatoes n noodles in. Only very small amount of remnant food left on plates, which means prob only meat n veg then? Anyway it sounds too scary!

Allison said...

Hi, my name is Allison. I live in the St. Louis Area, so your blog caught my eye. When you use a garbage disposal, you have to turn on the water first, run the disposal, shut the disposal off, then turn the water off. You can't put anything down it that will mess up the blades, or will absorb water and clog up the pipes. If it starts to smell bad, cut up a lemon, throw it in there and run the disposal, that will get rid of any smells. Good luck!

Gladys said...

Hi Allison. Thanks for the advice. Anyway I'm surprised my blog caught your eye.

By the way, do you know of any interesting places in St. Louis to recommend to group of late-twenties? We're looking for somewhere to go on friday and saturday nights.