Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Long Wait

Our shipment has been post phone AGAIN! Two weeks ago, a Jessica called to say our boxes were already in LA customs and would reach us in WH by early last week. Last week, she told hubby the shipment was delayed due to some impediment at the customs, so we should receive them this week. This week the same lady said the shipment just arrived at LA customs and should arrive at the STL customs next week. WTF?! If she intended to lie, can't she spin a consistent story instead? Is this a problem with the slow customs or is it a problem with Jessica?

It is really exasperating to still live out of a suitcase after almost 4 long weeks! Not only do we not have enough outfits to change into, we can't cook a proper meal till all our condiments arrive. Oh and yes, I can't start my exercise regime yet since my gym shoes and swim wear are still on their way here. Tell me how more devastating can this be, always munching on pizzas and burgers, yet can't exercise to keep my weight in check and thus can't look good in the few pieces of clothings that now seem too small for me. Welcome me to the world of laggards.

Now not only are we sick of eating out, I am very sick of cooking either instant or bland food. Pastas, fried rice, more pastas, pizzas, more fried rice, etc. There, you get it; that's been our home-cooked menu for the past 4 weeks, with only salt to taste. Packets of salt from Mac's, Schuncks and the hotel cafe are our only condiment for now. Pathetic huh, but not stingy eh. Haha... Don't forget this is the land of free, so we took what was made available to us till our big packet of salt arrives.

Anyway to digress, I was very proud of myself just awhile ago. Sick of cooking the same nothing-but-salt-only menu, my survival instincts finally surfaced. I created a very yummy 牛肉饭, with salt as the only seasoning! Maybe I was a well-known chef in my previous life, that's why I could still perform magic with just one type of condiment. Wahaha...
That's hubby's packed lunch for tomorrow, the famous Gladys' 牛肉饭! It's really delicious, easy to cook and very nutritious with lots of veg. Just dump plenty of chopped onions, mushrooms and carrots together with salt-marinated beef and viola! Oh and not forgetting the tablespoonful of garlic; makes the dish very fragrant. Yum yum... I am such a smart wife... =P