Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Adventurous Weekend

I ended up not going for the driving tests today coz hubby didn't get to knock off early enough to come pick me before they went for the tests. Now that all of them have passed the theory and some the practical as well, I'm the only one who still hasn't gone for any of them yet. Feeling even more stressed now, especially when all except one passed at their first attempts. Now that I am more or less prepared, I do hope hubby manages to go off early enough tmr to come pick me for the tests, before i threw all that I've cramped into my puny brain away.

Before I forget, I need to congratulate Penghan on his promotion. It's all thanks to him that we all had free and yummy lunch on Saturday!
Kim Son is the place where we went for delicious and reasonably-priced Viet food. It's somewhere along the unofficial Chinatown, and near where we had Viet food the 1st week we arrived. After patronizing Kim Son, I doubt we will be going back to the previous Viet outlet again.
That's Penghan, the boss, and Mingwei. Penghan said his wife commented that I did not post any of his pics, so I'll have to bear in mind to show his face here regularly. Haha...
That's Say Kwee's pork and rice. Looked much more appetizing in real!
This is my bowl of very delectable beef soup with egg nooodles! The bowl was full of superbly tender beef in very rich and tasty broth. Egg noodle is my all-time-favourite so it was an additional bonus to have them with my soup. The serving was humongous. After stuffing myself to the max, there was still almost half a serving left. I shall bring you guys there, if any of you were to pay me a visit ONE DAY.

After the sumptuous free lunch, we proceeded to a chinese supermarket just across the road. This supermarket plays cantonese music in the background! I tried to record a video of hubby going crazy for lup cheong in the supermart with the canton pop in the background, but I stopped almost immediately after just getting started when I noticed pairs of eyes staring at me; lest they think I super sua-gu. In the end I managed only 2 pics in the supermarket.
Hubby and Say Kwee very happy to be back in a chinese environment. Haha... I noticed the supermarket was also attracting quite a number of Koreans and Japanese. I never knew so many Asians existed in St. Louis till I saw multitudes of them doing their shopping in their supposedly favourite hunt. Unfortunately, merchandises sold are quite expensive since they are mostly imported. A small packet of red chilli padis cost a freaking S$2! But do they need to be imported as well?
I never knew he had so much pleasure in parting with his own money. Noticed hubby was smiling to himself at the cashier? I bet that must be because he managed to get his lup cheong, salted duck egg and our favourite preserved olive vegetable.


Next, we went to the St. Louis Walk of Fame in Delmar Boulevard. This place is full of colours and life; much more happening than our tranquil WH and surroundings. Mebbe because it's inside University City and is surrounded by colleges, that's why we saw many hip youngsters around. On the contrary, we felt pretty unsafe as the place seemed to be a haunt more for the blacks (I'm not trying to be racist). Sights of police petrol cars and guards with guns sticking out of their trousers made things worse, as they attest to the fact that we're in a high-crime area. Nevertheless, we attempted to enjoy our walk along the boulevard.
While the other 3 guys went browsing in the comic shop, the rest of us decided to kill some time.
The Loop in Delmar is "One of the 10 Greatest Streets in America", so claimed the board. Just that to be one of the grestests seems too effortless, I thought.
The retro looking Tivoli Theatre in the background. I insisted on taking a pic with the theatre coz it's a touristy thing to do. Haa...
While some of them stole some shade from the tree...
hubby was posing with some pillars in the background. My college is just to the right of the pillars, thus I wonder if they belong to the uni.
I'm going back to school, but the rally's not for me leh.
















After the tiring walk along Delmar, hubby thought of just driving around the scenic town without GPS before calling it a day. The initial intentions were to just move around aimlessly to check out the interesting places in town, if there's any. Then unknowingly we venture into East St. Louis, crossed the bridge and entered Illinois!
没有人的 factory. "Mebbe got drugs and firearms inside?!" I asked hubby. No cars on the road too!
Hubby said he felt like his GTA game came alive! Still 没有人 on the roads! I was very scared our car would get hijacked especially when we stopped at the traffic lights. With only hubby and Say Kwee protecting Meixuan and me, I doubt they can do much if some 黑人 decided to "ki siao".
Deserted buildings were everywhere in this 黑人区.
Dilapidated shop with shattered glasses. After making many wrong turns around the highly unsafe area, we managed to get out after an hour's drive. Took us another 30mins to rch home. By then, all our legs were aching and our butts sore.


Night was spent chilling in TGIF, a 2 mins drive from WH.
Quenching our thirst for alcohol! Thereafter, it's a gdnight's sleep after an eventful day.

2 comments:

Scorpio said...

Gladys... Shufang here... can I link you blog to mine???

Gladys said...

sure! :D
hope u guys r doing fine in Singapore.