Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Women's Charter, Chpt 353

My tenant has been in remand since 3 weeks ago, and as my mum read out the court order pasted outside my flat over the phone, I searched the net to find out more about his crime. Apparently he was wanted for family violence. What caught my attention was the definition of Chapter 353 of the Women's Charter 1997, Singapore (the law my tenant broke).

Section 46 states the duties and rights of a husband and wife in the management of the home and children as follows:

a. They are mutually bound to co-operate with each other in safeguarding the interests of the union and in caring and providing for the children.
b. They have equal rights in the running of the matrimonial household.

*So who says that the men rules the household and have final says in the family?

Section 69 makes it obligatory for a husband to maintain his wife and children during marriage. Any married woman whose husband neglects or refuses to provide for her reasonable maintenance may apply to a District Court or a Magistrate’s Court and that Court may order the husband to pay a monthly allowance or a lump sum for her maintenance.

*Now I know it's essential for Hubby to pay for ALL my shopping expenses. Maybe I can finally cut my cards now? Heh...

No comments: