Thursday, June 4, 2009

Ang Ku Kuehs

Life's been good good good! In fact it could not get any better as I do not have to worry about classes and assignments for 4 long months! To ensure that I spent some of my free time wisely, I cordially invited TWC to our apartment yesterday to make some Ang Ku Kuehs; especially since we were craving for the peanut-filled traditional chinese desserts. I haven't had those probably for at least 5 years. It was till the birth of Zeyi that the topic of Ang Ku Kuehs and red eggs surfaced, and set some of us salivating away.

Meeting early in the morning at 10.30 was quite a feat for me, as I do not usually wake up that early except to beat the sales or to head to school. Nevertheless, I was glad we started the quest early as our first batch of dough was not of the right constitution, and we spent a long time adjusting the amount of ingredients to fix it. Still it was time well spent, as the texture of the "skin" was just puuurrr-fect! Soft and chewy, and flavourful with hues of sweet potatoes and coconut. The peanut-filling was equally good as it was very fragrant and of the right sweetness. Perhaps our kuehs are better than what you get in some of the kopitiams. =P However, as the process to make ang ku kuehs is really tedious, this shall be my first and last pursuit; especially when it's readily available everywhere when we get back to Singapore. Anyway, I guess all three of us deserve a pat on the shoulders for slogging six long hours to make such yummy delicalies for our hubbies. Particularly so when it's our virgin attempts.

Just some pictures to whet your appetites...


No comments: