Saturday, April 11, 2009

Roast Pork Belly and Laksa

Pork belly is something which Hubby can have for a few consecutive days. Being the most doting wife ever, I decided to try my hands on preparing one of his favourite dish. This is especially so when he aren't be going back to SIN with me for the next vacation.

Roasting in the oven with lots of coarse salt on the top.

Nice crackling skin.

Yummy! Hubby, Shaun and Say Kwee gulped them all up with the yummy home-made chilli.









Cooking a nice dish is indeed a very good way to de-stress. Though it was close to midnight by the time we were able to sink our teeth in the pork belly and I had to work through the night to get my assignment done before tmr's meeting, it was time well spent in the kitchen. Especially when Hubby exclaimed "好吃!". In fact, I'm impressed with my own skills too. =P Oh and yes, meeting in school tmr on a Sunday, what's new.

In case any of you out there are keen on having home-made roast pork belly, here is the super easy recipe. I recommend 1/3 tbsp less of fine salt, if you prefer your meat to be less salty. I sprinkled a tablespoon of garlic powder on the meat too, to make it more fragrant and scored the skin with a sharp knife (like how u score squid) before roasting it at 470F for 35 mins. Thereafter, I pressed the skin down on a non-stick pan for a good 5 mins under MEDIUM heat for a nice crispy skin. Superb!

Laksa is more of my favourite than Hubby's. However, see the fishballs? These DODO brand fishballs are Hubby's fav, that's why you see them in a bowl of Laksa when they don't normally go very well with the spicy gravy. Added more Taho brand sambal and it's delicious!


Not that I am turning into a "yellow housewife", but I do now understand when women say one of the most satisfying moments is when your Hubby appreciates what was prepared to fill his stomach.

No comments: