Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Battle with Silkie

Silkie is the official name for our locally-known Black Chicken. Black chicken soup as long been hailed as a reinforcement to one's immune function, combat fatigue and restore youth. For sometime now, Chinese food scientists have confirmed that the black-bone silky fowl contain high levels of a substance called carnosine, which is a powerful anti-oxidant and is taken in supplement form in the West to improve muscle strength and alleviate the effects of ageing.

Mummy got us some herbs to make silkie soup, and the chinese supermarket happens to have a 20% discount on the normally-expensive frozen black fowl. With the exams just round the corner, it is now the perfect time to replenish all my drained energy with a bowl of herbal soup.

Defrosted the frozen silkie last night, and horrors of horrors, when I was trying to untie the knot of the plastic bag that contains it, I saw a pair of deadly-looking eyes staring straight at me!!!!! The worst part was that Silkie's head was just directly beneath the knot and I'd poked it unknowingly while trying to untie the bag. OMG, the thought of it now still send cold shivers down my spine. I threw it back right immediately into the fridge, and never ever wanted to deal with it again. I never had thought that the bag of silkie actually still had the head n neck intact. If I'd known, I'd never had bought it in the first place.

Anyway Hubby had to deal with it this morning, else we would have to waste the $8 spent on the black fowl cos over my dead body am I going to handle it.
The brave hubby chopped off it's neck, and the disgustingly-still-intact feet (think toes with claws!!). All the while I was hiding in the room, not wanting to even hear the noise made by the chopper on the chopping board. He dug out whatever remnant organs that were in it and Silkie had a good bath before I agreed to return to the kitchen. Then I got Hubby to strike a pose with Silkie, as a remembrance of his bravery. LOL!

The sight of an uncut black fowl still nauseate me much, and that 1-second touch (through my trusty pair of gloves) by just throwing it into the crockpot make my hair stand. I think I just can't handle uncooked whole chicken, whether it's headless or with its head on. It feels so much like manipulating a live animal. See the yellowish slimy weird thing near the opening after chopping off the neck, and blood on my chopping board? Yucks yucks yucks!!!!

However, I still want to restore youth and reinforce my immune system by consumming black chicken soup on a regular basis. So now I have to think of ways to humour Hubby into battling Silkie for the remaining months.

Me, off to preparing dinner...
















*Updated on 04/27/09: Hubby commented that the soup was tasty, and I took that opportunity to ask if he's willing to chop n cleansed the silkies whenever I buy them. Of cos he said yes! Woohoo!

4 comments:

Junyong and Eve said...

I dont dare to handle uncooked whole chicken too! Yikes! But if the head, neck and feets are already chopped off and organs removed (usually is), I could do it as long as I dont have to touch the inside of the animal. :p

Btw good pose with the spatula! hehe

Gladys said...

I was told the organs are normally removed, but dunno why there was one pc of organ with a vein still attached. Yucks!!!!!

Heh thks...

Anonymous said...

over my dead body to handle a whole chix! it still look pretty scary w/o the head...

it puzzles me that u even bot it in the 1st place... i juz knew u wud be as scared as me, if not more :P

Gladys said...

wahaha cos when it was frozen, it din look as scary lor. Also it din dawn on me that the "looks" of an entire uncooked chix is so intimidating. in e end I put e whole chix into e pot and let the meat fall off from the bones itself. LOL!