Tuesday, August 26, 2008

All about Food

I've been pretty proud of myself recently. The week before school started, I was trying to be a nice wife by cooking up a storm for the hubby. By others' standards, the "storm" was probably nothing to be pompous about, but it's really such a feat to me. Knowing that the impending heaps of school load means Hubby and I will probably have to succumb to very modest dinners for the many nights ahead, I tried to cook some "exotic" food that required some time and effort to make up for the expected simple fares.

Wanton mee dry! It had been my second staple food when I was young, unlike other kids who craved for McDonald's instead. I was so crazy about it that whenever my parents brought me out to dine, I'd definitely have that with lots of chilli. Still one of my favourite food, I decided to try cooking it from scratch, without having to wait for another 4 months before we get back. From scratch it means having to make the wantons and Char Siew myself! Such an achievement right? It was delicious and Hubby said it was his second best homecooked dinner to date. The texture of the noodle was not quite what I had expected it to be though, maybe because it's made in US. Still, it was good enough to satisfy our cravings. Do pardon the broccoli. I know it's not meant to be there but because the nearby supermarket does not sell chinese greens, I had to get a substitution for the Cai Xin (or whatever veg it is supposed to be).

This is one of the more fancy lunchboxes I had prepared for Hubby. Fancy because the Lor Bak falls under my category of "Exotic Food". I've had cooked this twice when we were in Singapore, but it was much successful this time round. Reason was becasue I had the time to let the meat simmer for a good 2.5 hours, for the melts-in-your-mouth texture. Hubby said this is the best lunchbox I'd prepared till date, cause Lor Bak, Tau Pok and egg are all his favourites. I know Hubby's lunch don't look appetizing here, but that's because he was so excited with his yummy food that he did not bother to present the food nicely for the photoshoot. Heh...


I went to the Chinese Supermarket on my way back just now, and saw this!

I love mooncakes! Last year this time, I did not have a chance to sink my teeth into these savory pastries as I was trying to diet to look my best on our wedding day. How time flies. It's been almost a year since we've been married. With no display of lanterns along the streets or in the shops here, I had forgotten the Mid-Autumn Festival is drawing near.

Since I can't have my slice of Da Zhong Kuo this year, I reckon a box of $10 mooncakes is the next best companion one can have during the coming Mid-Autumn Festival. Pretty modest mooncakes, especially since it is a product of USA. The yolk is very fresh, the white lotus smooth and the skin thin, almost perfect. Only if the white lotus paste is slightly sweeter to suit my sweet tooth, it will be heavenly. Anyhow, at $10 for 4 pieces of decent double yolk mooncakes, it's a steal!

I've been longing for Krispy Kreme for the past few days. Whenever we visited the supermarket in the evenings, it's either sold out or only boxes of a dozen of these darlings were left. Since I had the time to squeeze in some grocery shopping this noon, I had to grab a box of half a dozen of the Original Glazed. Yummy! Now I can look forward to waking up early for breakfast tomorrow.


I am attempting to cook Laksa later. I need good food to energize myself to prepare for the race this Friday. Spicy food's for the weary soul. If I succeed, I shall post a picture of it soon!

6 comments:

TT said...

I see that you like Asian food and mooncakes. May I suggest you to check out www.asiansupermarket365.com?

Gladys said...

Hi TT,
Thanks for the recommendation. Check out this site www.mytasteofasia.com, their prices are cheaper. I haven't get anything from there yet coz I still have quite abit of spices and paste from Singapore.

MC said...

the food looks good! I just finished reading all the posts from the roller coaster. We just met up awhile back and we were talking about what you've been blogging. jia you for the studies!!! singaporean english when spoken with sm effort can be perfect lor. pardon the singlish i just used. hahaha

Sarah Tan said...

Reminds me of the PGP time when you people would cook lots of wonderful things, while I would just wait and tuck in.

Gladys said...

MC: thks. i will jia you even if it means not sleeping, not cooking and not clearing the laundry! haha... I've been trying so hard not to leave out those "k"s, "t"s and "d"s and to emphasize the "h"s in "th"s when speaking. It's such a chore.

Sarah: oh i miss those days.... the freedom, the cooking, bitching, late-nite supper and clubbing!

TT said...

www.mytasteofasia.com closed down. Don't worry. You can find all kinds of malaysian food on www.asiansupermarket365.com