Thursday, August 21, 2008

School Begins

School workload has been crazy. It's only the 2nd day and I was in school for almost half a day, from 8am to 7pm. I've quizzes on the 3rd and 5th day of class, an assignment due on the 4th day and a final exam 10 days later. Intensive classes are held 4 hours per day for this course where I get 2 credits upon completion, compared to 1.5 for the rest of the courses to be completed in half a term. How more crazy can this get? No wonder I am complaining.

The profile of my class is very interesting. Of the 40 students enrolled, only 3 are married. I guess 2 of them are the 2 oldest guys in class; one at 65 yrs, and the other older, but I have no idea how old. The last person is obvious of course. The mean age of the students is 24, while the median is only 23. I guess I must be one of the oldest in class, but luckily most thought I am only 24 or 25. Heh... Another amazing thing is, the average GMAT score of my class is 710, with the average quatitative score at 99.9% percentile! This grades are comparable to the ones from Yale and Sloan's MBA graduates scores, according to this GMAT website. An astonishing piece of information! Makes me feel super stressed out now, coz my scores are pretty far from the average and that makes me a below-average student. A very competitive class, no doubt.

It's been intriguing making friends with people who come from all over the world; China, Hong Kong, Korea, Israel, Thailand and of coz different parts of the States. However, I am alarmed and saddened to know that I am one of the very few who speak less than perfect English in class. Many of my peers from the asian countries who did not have English as their first language in school, speaks much better english than I do, with perfect pronunciation. I feel so ashamed of myself. Speaking in perfect Mandarin has never been my forte too, so that leaves me at the bottom of the list when it comes to conversing with my coursemates. Sigh...

Thus, I am feeling very stressed and demoralized now. I do hope mingling wih them often can help to brush up my communication skills by leaps and bounds, and I wish I do have the intelligence and motivation to study hard enough to pull myself up from the ranks.

No comments: