Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I Miss Snow

For the first time yesterday, I drove while it snowed. For the first time, I realised snow is indeed in the shape of a snowflak! Lucky for me, it was a light snow fall. Else I definitely will choose to stay home, instead of braving the possibility of skidding off road on the way to/from school. I'd heard and seen too many horror stories, to even try to visualise myself driving on the icy roads. All along when snow landed onto my palm, they all appeared to be round, or some irregular shapes that are pretty similar to a dot. Till they fell on my windscreen yesterday, I realised they're mostly in the snowflak shape!!! I think I was in an ecstasy for a moment, cos I never thought I would actually see real snowflaks! My first instinct was to grab my camera and take pics of all those tiny pretty whities infront of me, but alas, no camera! I had so badly wanted to share my joyous encounter with Hubby. Too bad we haven't got a replacement for the lost camera. =(

While driving home awhile ago, I thought to myself how lucky I am to be able to experience attending school in Winter. To digress, I wanted to say "I am lucky to have the chance to attend school in all four seasons", but I reckon that's probably more unlucky than lucky having to spend almost my entire time here in school. Anyway, perhaps I was trying to look on the bright side and to cheer myself on in this term. However, I reckon it's fun and refreshing to go to school in coats, scarves n boots in some months, and shorts/ skirts/ sundress and slippers in the others. I've decided one of the first few pics I am going to take with our new camera, will be me with my school bag and what I normally wear to school. I want to have a keepsake pic of how young a lady in her late twenties look like in her winter wear and with a turtle shell on her back. Hahaha...

I've always complain about the eccentric weather in STL. Today was no exception. When I went out at 7.30am to send the guys to the airport, it was -7 degree celsius. I didn't have enough warm clothes on (maybe cos I was still sleepy then n didn't bother to pile up) and had to turn the car heater up to the max. When I leave for school at 12pm, with the morning coldness still fresh in my mind I ensured I was sufficiently covered up. Then, it was 6 degree c and I had to turn up the air-conditioner and wind down the window to let the cool breeze in! How could the temperature flunctuate so much within just a couple of hours? I know I should have check the weather before heading out (which I normally do), but as I was rushing late, I assumed it should be around 0 to -2 degree instead. Flunctuating between 13 degrees within such a short time is insane...

What's more annoying is, it's been pretty cold lately and yet I don't see much snow! The temperature has been hovering around -6 to 2 degree on most days, and -12 to -5 at night, but no snow! Except yesterday and a couple of nights during the beginning of Winter. Where is the snow? I haven't had the chance to build my own snowman, and I want to have a snow fight! As bitter cold as it is here, it seems weird that snow just decided not to visit us much this year. I can only listen in awe as friends described how heavy last year's snow fall was, and how they were able to play in the lush white surrondings. I wish for a blizzard, so I'll have the excuse to skip class due to the horrendous road conditions it usually entails.

I miss our Colorado trip...


P.S. Happy 20th Birthday Melinda!

No comments: