Thursday, May 28, 2009

Happy Dumpling Festival

端午节 is the time for bak zhang! TWC got together to make our very own rice dumplings, since no where can we get fresh n nice ones in STL. Very satisfied with my own virgin home-made zhangs, though all I did was wash, chop and wrap. The main credits still go to Peisuan and Josephine, who fry the ingredients and did the pro wrapping of the zhangs.

My masterpieces. See my ugly zhangs, especially those circled in red? As long as the rice doesn't spill out I'm good.

More ugly zhangs by yours truly, which "exploded" after cooking.

After spending the entire noon wrapping my dumplings, I still couldn't figure out the correct method to do so. Alas, I reckoned the fastest and easiest way is to wrap it like a parcel lah (recall how nuo mi chicken is being wrapped). You could see that my parcel-method didn't work very well too...

Our rice dumplings!
FYI, these nice ones are not wrapped by me.











Never thought that bao bak zhang is soooooo tedious. It shall be my first and last attempt at making home-made zhangs. Though these gems are seriously delicious, I still miss my Kim Choo Nonya zhangs...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

erm, ur bazhang realli ugly leh. :X

but its the taste that matters :P

Gladys said...

yah lor, super ugly n in odd shapes. wahaha