Thursday, October 2, 2008

Randoms

It's been more than 2 months since school started. Not only have my spoken English improved, I think my Mandarin too has improved leaps and bounds. I learnt aplenty from my Chinese classmates and picked up an interesting meaning of a traditional Chinese word yesterday. I just had to mention it here just in case it slipped my mind one day, given my bad memory. I never knew there was a "modern" meaning to the word "同志", till I mentioned this word yesterday and had a friend looking at me in awe. The westernized Chinese now used this word to descirbe homosexual guys. I tried to understand how in a way can "同志" be linked to gays, since it sounded so gungho and manly, but none of the Chinese students knew how this new meaning evolved over the years in China. I thought it's a pretty entertaining piece of info to share. So now we know not to use this word unwisely since it has a new and offensive meaning.

On a side note, Hubby and I will be back in Singapore for a short 4 days from 7th to 11th January! I can't wait, though it's going to only be a very short and rush stay! There is no way we can go back during CNY as skipping a week's of class is a BIG no no for me, especially when I can barely cope now even when I have a 100% attendance this Fall (and partly because the Director is against the idea of my intentional absence). We can't extend our stay any longer too, just in case any of u are curious to know. This is because we'd booked our flights and hotels to Washington D.C., Philadelphia and New York from 24th December to 1st January. So the earliest we can leave STL for SIN is on the 3rd. We are intending to stay over at San Francisco for 2 nights before heading to SIN since we need to transit there anyway. So by the time we reach SIN it will be on the 7th. We definitely need to leave by the 11th as my Spring classes are starting on the 12th. In short, it means we're going to have an extremely hectic travel schedule for 3 weeks and I have absolutely no idea how am I going to survive through the 1st week of class, considering how jet lag I will be after the trip back from home. Neverthelss, I am still very much looking forward to go back to meeting up with all my dear friends!

To digress, the finals for the term is starting next week and will last for almost a fortnight. This explains the long absence from my blog. Not that I have started my revisions for the exams way ahead of time, but because I had to clear tons of assignments before I can start my revisions. I have dozens of pictures to share from clubbings, birthday celebrations, outings, etc, but give me some time to upload them into my lappie and I sure will post them up after my papers. So, till then!

P.S. We're now in the 2nd week of Fall and weather's been rather chilly, especially in the mornings and nights. Temperature ranges from around 10-12 deg on my way to school, to around 17-20 deg in the noon. Leaves has started to turn orange and I can't wait to see the pretty Fall in full bloom!

No comments: