Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What's sizzling in the kitchen?

Since school's starting in about 2 weeks time (AArrrgggghhhhhh), I've been trying my best to dish up as many comfort food and yummy bites as possible, to make up for the lost opportunities ahead.

I've always have a penchant for baking since my first baking session during my secondary one Home Economics class, and used to bake quite often during the holidays ever since and all the way through JC. Uni days were spent mainly clubbing till the wee morning and struggling through tutorials, thus I hardly ever thought of baking anymore. Thereafter, the horrendous hectic work life crept into my world and sleeping was all I ever thought of. Moving into an apartment with an oven was one of the best things that has happened to me here. I've kept myself pretty busy baking all kinds of food I can think of recently, and here are the pictures of my first endeavors.

Portuguese egg tarts! With pre-packed frozen puff pastry available in Dierberg's, this was as easy as ABC. Delicious too!
Choc fudge cupcakes with frosting and rainbow rice. The vanilla frosting was too sweet for my liking, but I thought they just look oh-so-pretty for the camera. LOL!
An ugly choc fudge cake for PS and Jos' bday last weekend, with the too-sweet vanilla frosting and chopped nuts. The choc fudge cake itself was soft and tasty though. =)
Banana walnut cake made from scratch! Yummy stuff, to satisfy Hubby's constant cravings for his favourite cake.











Of course, efforts have been put into preparing our dinner menus too. Hubby has been the lucky one, to be presented with "exotic" fare ever so often.

Nasi Lemak with sambal french beans, assam eggs, ikan billis and luncheon meat! With the perfect nasi lemak chilli (courtesy from a very kind friend), this dinner was just heavenly!
Wanton mee, my second attempt unlike the others featured here. Much better than the first, and I'm glad I've improved. However to my dismay, I'd vomitted out quite a fair bit of the noodles later that night, as I'd over-eaten the huge portion placed on my plate.

Black bean soup, for hair nourishment. I'm very much concerned with Hubby's greying hair (the effects of nightly poker I supposed), thus this tasty comfort soup which my mum used to cooked quite often. However, this is so much more tastier than Mummy's, just like most of my other dishes. Wahahaha.....

I'm glad Hubby noticed that his once "kitchen-dimwit" wife has flourished into an amatuer cooking-connoisseur within a span of a year. All that matters after a tough grind in the kitchen is a heartfelt praise/ thanks, and enjoying a meal together with your other half...

And no, I am definitely not turning into a homemaker. I'm gonna ditch the apron once we're back in SIN for good, for I do not see any purpose for all that toil when delicious local food are all over the island.

No comments: