Friday, November 21, 2008

"Auntie!"

When your peers around you ask "You want my kids address u as Jiejie or Auntie ar?", u know u're no longer young. They don't automatically address you as Jiejie anymore. They stared at u like as if u look like some alien, probably wondering why is this Jiejie so old/ why is this Auntie younger than Mummy. God knows what are they thinking, but it's really not a good sign when you get greeted by stares from those small pairs of eyes, followed by silence after u said your Hi. When these kids greeted you back with a cheery "Hello Auntie!", without batting an eyelid, you know for sure you look old enough to be one. Of cos I am flattered by the bountiful enthusiasm that comes with the greetings, but I rather they chose to stare at me with that confused look and wait for their parent's instructions on how to address me, really. At least they assure me that I am still not old enough to be promoted to be an Auntie, yet. I am not condemning those who greeted me "Auntie" with much zest and without any prompts, but I just don't wish to be one till I have my own kids. What else can they address me then? Maybe some geniuses with lots of time of hand can think of a nice term for these poor kids to address us, the childless married & YOUNG women.

2 comments:

littleonion said...

face the reality!!

Auntie gladys! hehe

Scorpio said...

I know!! Go have a kid now... den you will not feel sad when kids call u "Aunite", but will feel extremely happy when they call you "jie jie"!!

:D